The other day I finally tried a recipe that has been on my mind for some time, namely quiche made the vegan way, using tofu rather than eggs to stabilize the filling.
I stuffed mine with greens - zucchini, olives, spinach and basil - but one can of course add whatever pie friendly vegetables of preference. To keep in mind though is avoid veg of a high water content (like no tomatoes kids), which may result in a very watery quiche.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 tbsp oat flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a handful basil leaves
- salt + pepper
- Start oven at 200°C.
- (Crush the oats in a food processor until meal consistency)
- Add garlic, basil and coconut oil with the salt and pepper, and crush before finally adding the chickpeas. Add in bits of water until desired consistency is reached.
- Press the dough out in a pie dish. Leave to cool in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- Pre-bake the crust for about 12 minutes.
TOFU + ZUCCHINI FILLING
- 1 block firm tofu (~395 grams)
- 1-2 zucchinis
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 dl fresh spinach
- 1 dl fresh basil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- olives/sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chilli flakes, to taste
- salt + pepper to taste
- grated vegan cheese, optional
- Drain the tofu of water; by wrapping it in a bunch of tea towels alternatively kitchen roll, and leave under a weight to gently press out the water while you prep the rest of the fillings.
- Chop the onion and fry in a large skillet on medium heat until soft. Add in garlic and grated zucchini that has been gently squeezed from water.
- Meanwhile, break the tofu and place in a food processor. Blend until a creamy paste has formed. If it does not turn creamy, add in some soy milk to help it along.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, spices, olives, tomatoes, spinach and basil. Cook until spinach has wilted.
- Remove from heat and add in the creamed tofu. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Spoon into baked crust and smooth out. I topped mine with thinly sliced zucchini and grated vegan cheese, but this is optional.
- Lower oven temperature to 175°C and bake quiche for about 35 minutes. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before attempting to slice.