I was never a big fan of spaghetti bolognese even before turning to the veg side, and I suppose that is a reason why I have been in no rush attempting to replicate the dish either.
Well, now I have and happily so. It is such a great comfort food, as well as being both inexpensive and easy to make. Win, win, win!
There are two rules of this dish:
1. garlic buds don't like to be lonely
2. be generous with the amount of curry paste added... (Go curry paste or go home!)
- vegan parmesan
- fresh basil
- roasted sunflower kernels
- 2,5 dl red lentils
- 1 can (à 400 g) crushed tomatoes
- onion, at least 1 but why not go for 2
- garlic, lots of
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 2,5 dl veg bouillon
- 2,5 dl oat cream or other plant based cream suitable for cooking
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 shredded carrots (opt.)
Start by sauting the onion(s) until softened, 7-8 minutes. Add in garlic, curry paste and lentils - stir to combine. Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a light simmer. Leave for circa 20 minutes until lentils are cooked. Possibly add some more water if needed as you go along.
Serve with pasta, sprinkling some vegan parmesan and fresh basil on top.