My mum actually veganised this recipe found via SVT the other week, and it was such a darn delight I wanted to try and make myself - my inability to follow recipes of course told me to throw in some silken tofu, sunflower kernels and (the mandatory) nutritional yeast in there too but that is what cooking should be like, in my humble opinion!
Now, this recipe does steal a bit of time when it comes to the first step of roasting the tomatoes, but it is well worth while as this makes them so much more flavourful.
Roasted Tomato Quiche
- Set oven to 150°C.
- Slice each tomato in 3. Roast for 1,5hrs; then increase oven temperature to 225°C.
- Combine pie crust ingredients in food processor, then press out in oven proof dish. Leave to cool in fridge until the tomatoes are finished roasting; then bake for 12-15 minutes; covered with aluminium foil at the bottom shelf of the oven.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until softened. Add crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, fresh basil and sunflower kernels.
- Mix corn starch and grated cheese in a seperate bowl.
- Layer the fillings in your pre-baked pie crust; starting with the tofu/onion, then cheese mix and then a layer of roasted tomatoes with a generous sprinkle of freshly cracked black pepper. Repeat with the remaining fillings.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- 1 kilo (ca) tomatoes
- 3 dl (1,2 cup) flour - like half wheat, half rye
- 125 grams dairy free butter
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- 1 block (à 349 grams) silken tofu
- 2 red onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- a handful sunflower kernels
- 100 grams vegan cheese
- 1½ tbsp corn starch
- black pepper + sea salt to taste
- a pot of fresh basil