I took a course on edible mushrooms with my mum a weekend back in September. After three hours in a classroom we got sent out into the forest to try out our fresh skills. As it turned out we were quite the talents... at picking poisonous ones. Well, luckily there is always the supermarket as a final resort (time is money right?) so we did end up eating some lovely pasta either way.
Pasta with Kale & Mushroom
- Bring the water for the pasta to a boil.
- In a dry skillet, roast a handful (or more while you're at it) sunflower kernels. Once roasted, remove from pan.
- Sauté onion, garlic, mushroom, lemon zest, herbs de provence and kale together in vegan butter for a few minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are shiny, add the oat fraiche and chanterelle bouillon ---. Let simmer while pasta is boiling. Save a few tbsp of the pasta water before you drain it, to thin the sauce.
- Toss everything together with the vegan parmesan, some sliced sundried tomatoes and the roasted sunflower kernels. Finish of with salt and pepper!
- 1 red onion
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- oat fraiche or similar
- sliced mushrooms, like champignons or chantarelles
- fresh kale
- a dash of chanterelle stock (or opt for regular vegetable bouillon)
- half lemon, juice of + zest
- ½ tbsp herbes de provence
- a pinch or two red chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
For serving: Vegan parmesan, roasted sunflower kernels and sundried tomato